To apply for a GSC Travel Award, follow these steps:
Collect the following documentation:
- An abstract describing the applicant's work or presentation/activity.
- Proof of acceptance at the meeting/conference, indicating the applicant's primary participation.
- Fill in the online application form at the bottom of this page.
- Print the one-page PDF form automatically generated by the system. Sign the form, and have it signed by your Advisor and by your Department Head or DGS. Notice that three different signatures are required. For example, if your Advisor is also the Department Head, you will need the signature of the DGS on your form.
SCAN the whole documentation (application form, abstract, and proof of acceptance) and EMAIL as an
attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Effective 07/28/2010 the GSC is no longer
acccepting faxed applications!
The documentation should be sent as soon as possible within the quarter in which the conference falls. Awards are granted first-come, first-served by completed emailed application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Sending irrelevant additional documents will not improve your chances of being granted an award.
Notification of award status and instructions for processing a GSC Travel Award will be sent as applications are reviewed and approved by the GSC Travel Award Committee. A fixed number of GSC Travel Awards are disbursed on a quarterly basis, with consideration of eligible applicants based on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no guarantee of funding. Eligible applicants who are not granted funding during the quarter in which their event occurs will still be notified and are encouraged to retain their receipts since additional award monies may become available at the end of the fiscal year. Additional awards are contingent upon unspent GSC monies and will be dispersed via a lottery system.
Applications must be received within the quarter during which the last day of the conference occurs. Each quarter has a quota of awards that will be dispersed on a first-come-first-served basis
- Quarter 1: May, June, July. - 76 awards
- Quarter 2: August, September, October. - 71 awards
- Quarter 3: November, December, January. - 71 awards
- Quarter 4: February, March, April. - 77 awards
The GSC encourages all applicants to apply for other travel support as well. Support is often available from departments as well as professional societies and associations. The UIC Graduate College grants travel awards as well. Application information and forms are available on the Graduate College website.
Please Note: Applicants should NEVER send receipts to the GSC. Original receipts must be presented to the Office of Student Affairs, 3030 SSB, in order to process reimbursements. The GSC cannot assume responsibility for receipts sent to them.
Warning to GMail/Webmail users: Sometimes, emails sent from our Travel Award System get caught in the spam folder of GMail/Webmail users. This includes notification of acceptance emails. If you use GMail/Webmail, make sure to check your spam folder regularly. Also, add email@example.com to your addressbook so your notification will be delivered to your inbox. The GSC is not responsible for missed notifications due to this problem.
GSC Travel Award Application