was founded in 1922 at Oklahoma City University be Dr. Frank G. Brooks and a
group of his students. The idea of an honor and professional society for biological
students spread rapidly and by 1925 the society was a national organization.
Biennial national conventions of student and faculty members began in that year
and in 1930 the society journal, BIOS, began publication of student research,
articles of interest to biologists and society news. As the society grew, it
was divided into regional and district groups each of which holds a convention
annually. At the heart of every district and national meeting are student research
papers presented in the style of graduate meetings. Awards are made for outstanding
individual and chapter accomplishment.